Wednesday 2/15 Distro
If you attended last week’s Ordering Party, be sure to pick up your food this Wednesday – and if you didn’t attend, stop by the coop’s new storefront to buy bulk foods and overstock!
Distribution is from 3-9PM at 2 Porter Ave (Corner of Flushing and Porter)
The storefront is shop #107 in the Loom, with a private door at 2 Porter Avenue. If you’re coming from Bushwick proper: head up Knickerbocker to Flushing; cross Flushing and turn right; take your first left onto Porter.
We still have one distro shift to fill: cashier/ floater from 5-9pm. If you’d like to volunteer for this shift, contact: email@example.com
The Loom: Next Steps
The Coop has signed a lease through next January at The Loom, which is intended to serve as a temporary distribution, meeting, and outreach site while we continue to search for a storefront location closer to the heart of Bushwick proper that will serve as our permanent home. After a painless move, we cleaned our new homebase and started renovations: overhauling the floor; painting the walls. Members have volunteered to build a countertop and lay out a floor plan. We’re figuring out what materials we’ll need for these renovations — as well as what appliances we’ll need to operate buying clubs — and will be seeking donated or discounted items in the near future.
The Loom’s visibility has already brought in new members, and we’re expecting considerable growth as we head into the spring. Policies are being hashed out:
- Who can purchase at the buying club?
- Should we change our membership fee structure, and how?
- What POS (cash register) system should we use?
- Can we accept EBT (food stamps)?
- What signage should be put outside, on our windows, and on our walls?
If you’re interested in participating in these policy discussions, join the BFC Google Group or attend one of our upcoming meetings.
Early 2012 Timeline
The Coop’s schedule for the next few months:
- March. The next general meeting is on Monday, March 5th. Check the meetings pagefor more details.
- March. Film series. Contact MattCynamon@gmail.com to volunteer.
- April. Coop Board meeting. Tentatively scheduled for 4/2.
- May. Bylaw revisions complete. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to help revise bylaws.
- May. Financial plan complete. Contact email@example.com to help with coop finances.
- June. New membership manual and orientation materials complete. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to help write membership materials.
- June. Revised website goes live. Contact email@example.com to help with website.
- June–July. Kickstarter campaign with $10,000 target begins.