New Member Orientation
Sunday, Dec 8th, 12 to 2pm
ALSO: Monday, December 2nd 7:00-9:00pm @ General Meeting
attendance counts toward the orientation requirement
The coop will be open after orientation for shopping!
- Arrive on time.
- Sign in and sign out.
Find out about the history and direction of the Coop, and how to be a member. Tour the store, and review Membership Policies
, and Join
Mandatory* for new members and recommended for those interested in becoming members. This is also a good 411 for older or returning members who haven’t had a formal introduction to the Coop.
At the Orientation, you may join the coop by filling out our Membership Agreement, signing up for an in-store work shift, and paying your membership fee. If you choose to not join during orientation, you may join by coming into the store during open hours and speaking with the manager.
Other Upcoming Dates:
Monday, December 2nd 7:00-9:00pm General Meeting
Sunday, December 8th 12:00-2:00pm Orientation
Tuesday, December 17th 7:00-9:00pm Orientation
Sunday, December 22nd 12:00-2:00pm Orientation
*Can’t ever make an orientation? Visit the store during open hours and talk to the manager.
Join us for our first ever Study Hall @ the BFC!
RSVP to the event here : https://www.facebook.com/events/574680302587828/
The Bushwick Food Coop is a member-owned-and-operated food cooperative located in the Bushwick/East Williamsburg area of Brooklyn, New York. We are a member-owned cooperative grocery store that works to increase access to affordable, healthy, and responsibly-produced food in Bushwick, Brooklyn, and surrounding neighborhoods. We are a true cooperative, democratically operated by our members. As a socially and environmentally-responsible organization, we strive to work with farms and businesses that are local, sustainable, fair-trade, organic and ethical, and to minimize the amount of waste we create by recycling and using products made from recycled materials. We believe that bringing our neighborhood together around good food can strengthen community bonds, promote economic and cultural diversity, and increase overall health in Bushwick.
Our store is currently open five days a week, moving to six days in early January. As we grow, we are seeking to hire a second paid employee, to work alongside our General Manager to oversee store operations and train new members as they work in the store.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversee receiving, inventory and restocking
- Oversee merchandising and store organization/cleanliness
- Oversee POS system, sales and expenses records (bookkeeping)
- Assist with new member orientations
- Oversee store during open hours and manage member workers
- Oversee store closings and cleanup
- College graduate OR 1-2 years in retail management
- working knowledge of the cooperative business structure and values
- demonstrate the desire to manage a mission-driven business and hold the Co-op’s guiding principles in high esteem
- show exceptional organizational and leadership skills including ability to manage members with varying roles and levels of commitment
- have proficiency with Google Docs and Microsoft Word, and ability to create and manipulate basic spreadsheets using formulas in Microsoft Excel and other major programs
- availability to work 35-40 hours a week, including most weekends
- must be comfortable lifting heavy boxes up to 50 pounds,
- fluency in Spanish preferred
- 21 plus years of age
The Assistant Manager will be paid a starting salary of $25,000 per year, including 15 days per year of vacation/sick days.
Please provide a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com . Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Bushwick Food Cooperative Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve.